Kick off summer with live music and free family-friendly concerts beginning Friday, July 1.
The free concerts are held every Friday in July at the bandstand on Tappan Square in the heart of downtown Oberlin. Take your lawn chairs, blankets, and grab a bite to eat or take-out food. Along with live music, Peppy the Clown will be at most concerts.
This year’s Friday lineup includes:
• Friday, July 1 from 7-9 p.m.: Motor City Gold, sponsored by Ohio Educational Credit Union. Motor City gold will tantalize, surprise, and entertain with a diverse combination of musical styles including urban, R&B, and Motown. The band has performed for more than 20 years and is sure to create a high-energy soundscape.
• Friday, July 8 from 7-9 p.m.: Cats on Holiday, sponsored by Republic Services. Cats on Holiday will perform with hard rockin’, swamp poppin’, American-influenced roots, country, Cajun, and blues. From the Cuyahoga River Valley on the shores of Lake Erie, this band has been pleasing crowds from bar rooms to outdoor festivals and concerts for many years.
• Friday, July 15: A special evening including a community picnic beginning at 5:30 p.m. is sponsored by Oberlin IGA, Northwest Bank, and Oberlin Kids. The picnic features all sorts of free children’s activities and includes food for sale including chicken, brats, hotdogs, chips, and ice cream. At 7 p.m., relax and enjoy Soul Proprietors, a local band playing original music with funk, blues, folk, pop, and rock roots. E.T. King will join the band for additional blues and soul sounds.
• Friday, July 22 at 6 p.m.: Professor Street will be closed between West College and Lorain Road to feature the LeakOil Club’s 70s and 80s Volkswagen buses, which will be on display along the street. Food trucks and ice cream will also be available. At 7 p.m. Hard Day’s Night, a Beatles tribute band with authentic costumes and music, will entertain until 9 p.m.
• Friday, July 29 from 7-9 p.m.: That 80s Band, sponsored by the Rotary Club of Oberlin, will capture the moments and looks of the 80s. Authentic outfits and sounds along with high-end lights, video and props will have you feeling like you went through a time machine. Be sure to join in with the “ultimate party band” by taking your big hair, skinny ties, and short skirts with leg warmers.