A record number of votes — 296 — were cast in the 2015-2016 Gingerbread House contest at the Oberlin Public Library.
Oberlin High School nutrition and wellness students designed, planned, baked, and decorated gingerbread houses. Their creations were on display from Dec. 15 to Jan. 15.
The Oberlin Endowment Board has supported the gingerbread house project for several years, as have teachers, parents, and businesses. Through the efforts of Dr. Conleth Crotser, the Oberlin Discount Drug Mart donated candy and the Oberlin IGA discounted the molasses.
The Oberlin Buisness Partnership provided prizes. Retired teachers Craig and Barb Enos gave many volunteer hours.
• Bella Palcio and Marquis Walker for “Cabin in the Woods” in the Most Creative Use of Candy category.
• Donte Jackson, Elizabeth Kregosky, Maxine Redd, and Imani Whitworth for “Christmas Wonderland” in the Best Traditional Gingerbread category.
• Jaxson Baker, Caleb Hughley, and Cameron Schroth for “The Tardis” in the Most Original category.
• Lauren Garcia, Gwen Miceila-Spieker, Sarah Parsh, and Serenity Crowley for “Christmas Bakery” in the My Favorite category.
• Jeremiah Austin for “The Polar Express” in the Ones I Would Most Like to Eat category.
Courtesy photo This Christmas bakery looks good enough to eat.