No serious injuries in Park Manor blaze

Staff Report

Unattended food on a stove sparked a fire in a College Park Manor apartment called in at 10:01 a.m. Thursday, Oberlin fire chief Bob Hanmer said.

A report on the fire was unavailable Thursday evening, but Hanmer said no one was hurt in the third-floor blaze in Apartment 315. Firefighters arrived at the four-story, 75-unit building at 143 East College St. at 10:05 a.m. and the fire was extinguished at 10:25 a.m.

Hanmer said the 69-year-old resident of the apartment was home when the fire occurred, but a smoke detector triggered a call to firefighters. Hanmer, who was reached by phone, said he didn’t have the woman’s name.

He was unsure whether she was the conscious and alert woman rescue workers wheeled to an ambulance via stretcher at 10:10 a.m. She was treated at the scene.

Firefighters spent more than an hour at the building They could be seen working on the third and fourth floors of the apartment complex, where smoke drifted from open patio doors. They scaled the wall on the eastern wing of the building via ladder and carried axes typically used to break walls to find hidden flames.

In front of the building, several residents stood with paramedics. Several others walked out briefly onto their balconies before retreating from the heavy rain outside.

Six fire trucks and several Central Lorain County Ambulance District vehicles were parked by the building which is between South Park and Spring streets. Police blocked traffic at Eastwood Elementary School and Park and Vine streets. Carlisle Township, LaGrange, South Amherst and Wellington firefighers assisted Oberlin firefighters.

Built in 2012, the building has a total market value of about $2.4 million, according to Lorain County property records. It is owned by College Park Manor LLC.

The building includes one-, two-, and three-room apartments as well as studio apartments, according to the College Park Manor website.

Staff Report