Photos by Jason Hawk | Oberlin News-Tribune
A major gas leak caused alarm Friday morning, leading Oberlin firefighters to block access to Morgan and Cedar streets. A construction crew doing road work at the intersection hit a main gas line, firefighters said. At first, emergency crews considered evacuations of the homes, according to scanner traffic. But workers at the site said no one was removed or told to leave — they were told to shelter in place. Columbia Gas was called to handle the situation and had the leak locked down after about 20 minutes of work.